The Sales Order payment process is one of the main processes of Paystand in Netsuite. This process allows you to pay a sales order before it is billed and creates a Customer Deposit or a Cash Sale, depending on the payment method.
When a Sales Order has a defined payment method and is paid, the result is a Cash Sale.
In contrast, when a Sales Order doesn’t have a defined payment method, and it is paid, the result is only a Customer Deposit.
Customer Deposit Creation Flow
1. When a Sales Order is created, it is required to be approved before it is paid to avoid errors when the process creates the transactions. Creating an item fulfillment is not required, but in some cases, it is recommended.
2. For the case of creating a Customer Deposit
It is crucial NOT to set a payment method. Because if there is a payment method set, a Cash Sale will be created instead of a Customer Deposit.
You can find the payment method field on the Billing tab and then in the Payment section.
As was mentioned, fulfilling the order is not required for the current process, but it is recommended for a process where the result is another type of transaction.
Billing a Sales Order
Upon receiving a payment for a sales order, we'll allocate the payment to the order and generate a deposit application. Suppose the sales order is billed and approved. In that case, an invoice is automatically created, and the payment received against the sales order is applied to this newly generated invoice.
1. Select Bill Remaining to initiate the billing process for the sales order.
2. The invoice approval status must transition from Pending Approval to Approved.
3. Click this button.
4. Once you've billed the sales order and approved the invoice, upon checking the deposit application, you'll notice it's now fully applied.
5. To review the newly generated invoice and verify that the payment has been applied to it, click on Applied To to access the relevant information.